Thursday, August 5, 2010

Day 3 of 30: The Group Who Couldn't Say

A song that makes me happy:


My childhood was spent mostly in creeks and woods (when not playing Nintendo.) In LaPorte there were woods behind my house and woods behind the those across the street. There were abandoned factories behind the across-the-street woods. The factories had been reclaimed by the woods. The other kids on my street and I would tramp around all day out there. We would catch snakes and turtles and frogs and toads and salamanders and all manner of small woodland creatures. The wildlife would be taken home and kept alive in a box. We had a rule though, you had to let it go after a week. I'm not sure who came up with that rule just that it was followed by everyone. We would always let them go.


If you haven't in a while or ever, get yourself out to the Oxley Nature Center (or local equivalent if not in Tulsa.) Get a map (or don't) and wander the trails. The marsh stuff is the best (don't wear shoes that you like.) I can't wait for camping in October. I wish that a certain couple of NY stylists could come, but alas. It's good to know that I will never be like the people in this song and that's why it was picked for day 3.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i wouldn't pin you as a nature kid/man at all. but you so are! and a song from the is album almost made to my 'song that reminds you of some place.' good one

    ReplyDelete