Friday, August 6, 2010

Day 4 of 30: You're Gonna Make It, Joe

A song that makes me sad:

In the middle of fourth grade my family moved back to Tulsa from LaPorte, IN. I love Tulsa now, but in my youth it was the worst decision my family could've made. You'd think that the quality of schools wouldn't have much of an effect on a child. It's something only parents think about, right? Nope. From the first day at Union's Briarglen Elementary I knew this was a major step down. I was learning stuff in fourth grade that I had learned in 2nd "back home." And the kids. The kids were just fucking mean, and the teachers, some of them, were even worse. 4-6th grade at Union we're the worst years of my life.

I can't pay attention to a teacher without doodling. So I draw all the time in class. I don't take notes really. I just draw and it all sticks in my brain. But I had this teacher in 5th grade. My reading teacher, Ms. Spurgeon. She (and all the other teachers) hated my drawing. Thought I wasn't paying attention. And it pissed 'em off to no end when I could repeat what they had just said, verbatim, after trying to call me out in front of the class. Ms. Spurgeon was the worst though. She would stop talking, walk up to my desk, grab my paper, and throw it in the trash. She'd make some condescending comment and then go back to teaching. There were several times that it made me cry out of pure frustration. This obviously did nothing to help my social status with those ugly fuckers.

This song brings up all of that in my mindstuffs every time.
Listen by clicking the title (and then clicking the title:)

1 comment: